If you’ve sustained an injury, the team at Step Ahead Physical Therapy in Cambridge and Marblehead, MA offer natural injury rehab solutions to get you back to your life sooner.
Guide to Physical Therapy in Injury Rehab
Many people think that resting an area after an injury is all they need to do for the injury to heal. Rest, ice, compression, and elevation are fundamental aspects of injury recovery, but these steps are meant mostly for the beginning phase. Physical therapy is essential for natural and lasting injury rehab. Learn more about why in this quick guide from the team at Step Ahead Physical Therapy in Cambridge and Marblehead, MA.
What Exactly Is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is a combination of targeted stretches, exercises, and manual therapy to help injuries recover fully. Different physical therapists offer different types of techniques. At Step Ahead Physical Therapy, we offer the following, just to name a few.
- Graston Technique: The Graston Technique utilizes a specialized tool to detect and break down scar tissue that impacts range of motion and causes pain and inflammation.
- Corrective exercises: Corrective or therapeutic exercises are stretching and strengthening movements that target the injured site. These start slowly and build up as you heal.
- Cold laser therapy: Cold laser therapy uses laser light into the injured soft tissues to stimulate healing, reduce pain, and improve circulation.
- Electrical stimulation: Electrical stimulation involves using electrodes placed on the skin to deliver small electric pulses to the target area. It helps reduce muscle spasms, improve circulation and range of motion, decrease swelling, and more. Active iontophoresis is a method of electrical stimulation in which medication is delivered through the electrodes and the electric pulses.
Benefits of Physical Therapy in Injury Rehab
Physical therapy can provide many great benefits that help you recover naturally and more quickly. These include:
- Break up scar tissue that limits your movement
- Improves your strength, balance, flexibility, and range of motion
- Improves posture and alignment, which can prevent injuries and pain in the future
- Improved overall health
- Reduction or elimination of pain without medication or invasive techniques
Learn more about the benefits of physical therapy in your injury rehab journey by scheduling an appointment at Step Ahead Physical Therapy in Cambridge or Marblehead, MA by calling (781) 797-0844.